~Of Bluebirds Roses and Christmas~

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care....
Above is our family room fireplace/mantel. (The stockings were new the year I took this photo; so please pardon the folds in them! :)
Christmas stockings are one of my favorite Christmas items, because they hold such happy memories for me.One of the Santa stockings pictured here is my childhood stocking. My mother bought a set of them years ago when we were little, and then recently gave them to my brother and me. I was fortunate to find a similar one at a yard sale, so that I can hang two of them together.

We always had an orange in the toe of our stocking. That was a tradition that my mother brought from her own childhood. Back in those days, their stockings held fruit or nuts, and that was their Christmas present.

I am so excited that it will soon be time to hang these stockings once again!!

6 Comments:

  • At November 4, 2008 at 6:10 PM , Blogger A Southern Rose said...

    I remember my grandma saying that they would get fruit and nuts and hard candysticks in their stockings. I like to have stockings for the kids and even my oldest still looks for her's. This year I get to add one for my first grandbaby!

     
  • At November 4, 2008 at 6:15 PM , Blogger Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

    I'm so glad to have come across someone who is as excited about Christmas as I am! I enjoy checking out your blog everyday to see your posts.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

     
  • At November 4, 2008 at 9:58 PM , Blogger Pineapple Villa said...

    Hello Becca...we are all in the same club...early christmas decorating! Love what you have shown and thanks for visiting, will keep checking for updates, Mel xxx

     
  • At November 5, 2008 at 4:43 AM , Blogger Linda said...

    Great Blog!
    Cheers Linda

     
  • At November 5, 2008 at 6:21 AM , Blogger Amy said...

    Hi Becca,
    I just love your Christmas blog so much. I will definitely be back through the next weeks! My husband's family also put oranges in the toes of their stockings, so we always did that for our children's stockings too.

    Thank you very much for your visit and sweet comments on my blog! I truly appreciate it. Amy :)

     
  • At November 5, 2008 at 11:00 AM , Blogger stadtgarten said...

    I came to your blog through Pennys Lavender Hill Studio and although it is too early I am already in the mood for christmas. I love your christmas songs!
    Greetings from Germany, Monika

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home